Monday, January 31, 2011

Explaining The Diet Quality Score

Since not many people are going to buy Racing Weight, I thought I'd do a post explaining the Diet Quality Score so the numbers I post would make sense.
It's a way of tracking the quality of the food you eat by giving you points for eating good things and takes away points when you eat bad things.  At the end of the day you want as many points as possible.  The more points, the healthier the quality of your diet.  In conjunction with counting calories, you can completely control your body composition to achieve your desired results.

Use this handy Excel spreadsheet I made to track your daily Diet Quality Score.  When you eat a serving of something, circle the points on the chart.  It's easy.  There are some notes on there that explain tricky things.  As you'll see the highest score you can get per day is a 30.  It is not important to eat a 30 every day, or ever really.  I usually get around a 24-27.  Anything over 20 would be considered a rather healthy, balanced diet.

4 comments:

  1. Help Nike, I actually found your blog by way of Dethtron, and I must say wow! I never knew there was that much devotion in cycling. I have a few questions though.

    First a quick statement, I was lucky enough to snag the last copy of Racing Weight at my local Borders so I'll be reading that soon.

    Do you ever have a problem with cravings though? I've looked at a few of your daily meals, and granted I'm not on my bike continually, but it just seems less than. I know this isn't a diet, and you have very specific goals, but does your regiment have any leeway for slip-ups or "off days"?

    Again thank you for putting this out there. It might not seem like it, but there has to be a few of us reading this and gleaning some info so good job. You can email this back to me, or comment for others, it all good either way.

    Thanks, k.Blas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey k.blas. Cravings are tough, the only thing I can say is that you have to have discipline. Obviously, you can go over your caloric intake a little, but really the name of the game is calories in vs calories out so you can easily wipe out a week's worth of gains in one bad day.

    My solution for when I want to eat more: go exercise. As you can see, on days I ride I burn a ton more calories and I eat a ton more. Those days usually satisfy my cravings.

    But basically, the bottom line is when you're tempted to cheat, don't. Since you're only cheating yourself and putting yourself further away from your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey nike, I am ady from Indonesia,it's good to be here
    I gotta lil question what is the different of DQS with Diet Quality Index-International (DQI-I)
    thanks

    ReplyDelete